This Jason Manford gig is on fire! | Literally – as mobile phone catches light

This Jason Manford gig is on fire!

Literally – as mobile phone catches light

comedyJason Manford’s show in his Salford hometown was delayed last night – when an audience member’s phone caught fire.

The auditorium of the Lowry Theatre was evacuated as smoke spread around the venue

Firefighters were called but the blaze had burnt itself out by the time the two fire engines arrived.

A spokesman said the battery caught light and started a small blaze.

The start of Manford’s Muddle Class show was delayed by almost half an hour, but there was no series damage, except to one of the seats.

Just before the show started, the comic tweeted a picture of the scorched device, saftely contained in a bucket, saying: ‘The offending mobile phone setting on fire at @The_Lowry tonight! Show should be starting again in 20 minutes.’

The venue confirmed: ‘The Lyric Theatre was evacuated this evening after a patron’s mobile phone overheated during the interval of Jason Manford.

‘Our security removed the phone from the venue & the fire service attended as per our emergency procedures. Show delayed by approx 20 mins before continuing.’

Despite the alarm going off, Richard Herring, who was recording his podcast in front of an audience in another theatre at the Lowry, was told to press on with his show.

Published: 26 May 2019

What do you think?

Live comedy picks

We see you are using AdBlocker software. Chortle relies on advertisers to fund this website so it’s free for you, so we would ask that you disable it for this site. Our ads are non-intrusive and relevant. Help keep Chortle viable.