THE REVELS STUDENT COMEDY AWARDS 2006-2007 with Chortle.co.uk is a national search of the UK’s universities to find the “funniest student”.
The search will start in autumn 2006, with 12 regional heats taking place in Spring Term 2007 at various universities throughout the UK. The 12 regional heats, venues and the dates are as follows:
Newcastle Univesity: February 15, 2007
Leeds University: February 19, 2007
Edinburgh University: February 20, 2007
Swansea, February 22, 2007
Sheffield University: February 25, 2007
Birmingham University, Febrruary 26, 2007
Bristol University: February 27, 2007
London, UCL, February 28, 2007
Nottingham, March 1, 2007
Warwick, March 4, 2007
Southampton, March 5, 2007
Manchester, March 12, 2007
The Final will be held in Edinburgh during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August 2007. The winners from each of the 12 heats and a further finalist chosen by the public will perform before a judging panel with the "funniest student" selected as the ultimate winner.
In these Official Rules:
"Act" means either an Artiste performing alone or two or more Artistes performing together;
"Applicant" means any person that seeks to take part in the Event;
"Application Form" means the official form submitted by an Applicant in order to be considered for entry to a Heat, which shall include a copy of these Official Rules;
"Artiste" means any of the Applicants selected to perform during the Event;
"Competitor" means any manufacturer, or distributor or marketer of any confectionery products/brands, which, in the Sponsor’s reasonable opinion, directly or indirectly compete with any of the Sponsor’s, or its affiliate companies', confectionery products/brands;
“Event” means the event known asThe Revels Student Comedy Awards 2006-2007 with Chortle.co.uk
"Heat" means any of the 12 regional heats taking place in Spring Term 2007 at various universities throughout the UK;
"Final" means the final of the Event to be held in Edinburgh during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August 2007;
"Official Rules" means these rules as may be amended from time to time and to which all Artistes agree to be bound;
"Organisers" means, together, the Promoter and the Sponsor;
"People's Choice Finalist" means the Act selected by public vote in accordance with Rule 26.
"Promoter" means Chortle, whose principal business address is at 78b South Ealing Road, London W5 4QB;
“Release” means a release form confirming, in favour of the [Organisers], the signing Artiste’s consent to the filming and recording of his/her performance at a Heat and/or the Final, the editing of the material filmed and recorded, the use for all promotional purposes of the material filmed and recorded and the Artiste’s waiver of all moral rights in and to the material filmed and recorded;
"Sponsor" means Masterfoods, a division of Mars UK Limited, whose registered office is at 3D Dundee Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4JY;
“Spring Term” means the Spring term for universities across the UK in 2007, generally falling between January 2007 and March 2007, during which period the Heats shall take place.
- The Event is open to students aged 18 years or over on 25 September 2006 enrolled in tertiary education at any UK university.
- Applicants must submit a completed Application Form to be received no later than 30 November 2006. Only one Application Form is required per Act.
- Application Forms will be available from the Chortle website at www.chortle.co.uk.
- Application Forms must be submitted on-line at the Chortle website at www.chortle.co.uk. Entries submitted by any other method shall not be accepted. Only fully complete Application Forms shall be valid.
- The Organisers accept no responsibility for lost, late, undelivered, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, incorrect, or corrupted Application Forms. The Internet is not a secure medium and information submitted via it may be accessed by third parties. Proof of sending an Application Form is not proof of delivery.
- The Organisers are not under any obligation to accept any application for entry into the Event and have total discretion to reject an application without providing any reason whatsoever.
- The Organisers reserve the right to amend the entry application process from time to time. The Organisers also reserve the right to contact Applicants for additional information.
- Following submission of a valid Application Form, successful Applicants will be contacted by email on or before 31 January 2007.
- Applicants can indicate their preferred choice of Heat venue on the Application Form. The Organisers will endeavour to offer successful Applicants their chosen Heat venue. However, in the event that a Heat venue is over-subscribed, the Organisers reserve the right to offer Applicants an alternative Heat venue.
- Each Heat will be limited to between three and twelve Acts.
In respect of all performances at the Heats and/or the Final:
- Only one Act may perform on stage at any time.
- Performances should last between five and seven minutes. Acts will be given a visual indication when there is less that one minute remaining. The Organisers reserve the right to disqualify any Act that exceeds seven minutes.
- Artistes must use their own original material.
- The Organisers reserve the right to disqualify any Artiste who, during the Event and for one month after the Event (whether on-stage or in any marketing/public relations exercise including, but not limited to, any interviews):
makes any comment that is defamatory or otherwise unlawful;
makes any comment that is likely to cause serious or widespread offence on the grounds of race, religion or sexual orientation;
makes any comment which directly concerns, or is detrimental or negative to the image, reputation or goodwill of:
any of the Sponsor's products and/or brands (including Revels);
any confectionary products and/or brands of any of the Sponsor's competitors;
the consumption of confectionary; or
refers to the contents of these rules.
- The above list is not exhaustive and the Organisers reserve the right to exclude any Artiste, at the Organisers' sole discretion and for any reason.
- Artistes must abide by the Official Rules. The Organisers may disqualify any Artiste in breach of the Official Rules.
- Any decision made by the Organisers regarding selection, eligibility or disqualification is final and shall not be subject to challenge or appeal.
- All expenses incurred by Artistes in participating in a Heat and/or the Final, including but not limited to any travel and accommodation costs, will be at Artistes' own cost.
- The Organisers reserve the right to terminate the Event at any time in circumstances where, in the reasonable opinion of the Organisers, the integrity of the Event has been undermined or threatened in any way. In the event that the Event is terminated in these circumstances, the Organisers shall have no liability to any Artiste whatsoever.
- Artistes shall comply with all reasonable requests made by the Organisers for a reasonable number of interviews, promotional appearances and marketing activities whether before or after the Heats and/or the Final.
- Each Heat and the Final will be judged by a panel of judges.
- The Act judged by the panel to be the winner of each Heat will be invited to take part in the Final.
- The panel’s decision in the Heats and the Final is final and justification for their decision will not be given.
People's Choice Finalist
- Video footage of all Acts participating in each Heat will be available on www.chortle.co.uk within one week of the Heat taking place.
- Visitors to www.chortle.co.uk will be able to vote for their favourite Act (excluding any Act selected as winner of any Heat). The Act which receives the most votes by midnight on May 31, 2007 will be selected as the People's Choice Finalist.
- In addition to the winners of the Heats, the People's Choice Finalist will also be invited to take part in the Final.
- The Act selected as the winner of the Final will win £2,500.
- The Act selected as the runner-up of the Final will win £500.
- Prize money will be paid by cheque and presented to the Acts selected as the winner and runner-up at the Final.
Winners Lists and Official Rules
- For the names of the winners of the Heats and the Final and/or a copy of the Official Rules please visit the Promoter's website at www.chortle.co.uk.
- Heat winners will be listed at www.chortle.co.uk within one week of each Heat and will remain posted on the website until 24 September 2007.
General terms and conditions
- To the extent permitted by applicable law, Artistes participate in the Event entirely at their own risk and the Organisers accept no responsibility for any injury, accident, loss of property or other claim arising from an Artiste's participation in the Event, except where such liability cannot be excluded at law.
- An Artiste shall indemnify and hold the Organisers harmless from and against all damages and liabilities suffered or incurred in connection with, resulting from or arising out of a breach by that Artiste of these Official Rules.
- The Organisers shall not be responsible for any unforeseen circumstances which affect the entry process or administration and conduct of the Event, including without limitation: technical, mechanical and electronic malfunctions, force majeure, safety and security concerns, or the decision of any competent authority. In the event of such unforeseen circumstances, the Organisers reserve the right to terminate, reschedule or modify any aspect of the Event.
- All Artistes acknowledge that the Event is a public event and agree to sign a Release form so that use may be made, free of charge, of his or her voice, image and likeness by means of live or recorded broadcast, video display, photograph, transmission or any other current and/or future media technology including use by the Organisers for the purposes of promoting the Organisers' products and services. Copyright and all other intellectual property rights in any photographs or other images relating to the Event will be the property of the Organisers. The Promoter retains the usage rights for all material released by Artistes.
- By submitting the Application Form each Applicant will be deemed to agree that the personal information contained on the form together with any other publicly accessible data will be processed and used for the purposes of the Event and related marketing and promotional activities, and for this purpose such information may be transmitted across international borders and processed in countries which may not grant protection of any kind in respect of the processing of personal data.
- All Application Forms and any other material and/or information submitted in connection with the Event shall become the property of the Organisers and will not be returned.
- The Organisers reserve the right to make amendments to these Official Rules and any other applicable rules from time to time.
- In the event that any provision of these Official Rules be declared void, ineffective or unenforceable by any competent court, the remainder of these Official Rules shall remain in effect as if such void, ineffective or unenforceable provision(s) had not been contained.
- These Official Rules shall be governed by, construed and take effect in accordance with English law.
By submitting an Application Form, all Applicants agree to abide by these Official Rules.