McCarthy 'heartbroken' over Mike & Molly axe | 'I would have made this for 50 more years'

McCarthy 'heartbroken' over Mike & Molly axe

'I would have made this for 50 more years'

Melissa McCarthy has been left ‘shocked and heartbroken’ over the cancellation of her sitcom Mike & Molly.

The show has been axed by America’s CBS network, which has announced that the upcoming sixth series will be its last – and cut to just 13 episodes.

News of the show’s cancellation was broken by co-star Rondi Reed, who plays Mike’s mother Peggy on the show.

She wrote on Facebook: ‘This is the final and sixth season of Mike & Molly on CBS… We are done taping as of January 27th.’ She said ‘other venues were explored’ for the sitcom, but no new home could be found.

The series – which airs on Comedy Central Extra in the UK – has been running since 2010 and helped make McCarthy a star. She landed an Oscar nomination for best supporting actress for Bridesmaids in 2011, last week she received her first Golden Globes nomination for her role in Spy, and she has just wrapped filming on the Ghostbusters reboot.

But she said Mike and Molly was still her passion, tweeting: ‘I would have shot this show for 50 more years. I’ll miss my second family.’

I was shocked and heartbroken when @CBS canceled #MikeAndMolly. I would have shot this show for 50 more years. I'll miss my 2nd family.

— Melissa McCarthy (@melissamccarthy) December 14, 2015

Published: 15 Dec 2015

What do you think?

We see you are using AdBlocker software. Chortle relies on advertisers to fund this website so it’s free for you, so we would ask that you disable it for this site. Our ads are non-intrusive and relevant. Help keep Chortle viable.