Like a dog in a blancmange
WTF: Weekly Trivia File
- 'If the only things we could joke about were things that were already funny, comedy wouldn't even exist' Australian comedian Ben Bobjie
- Simon Evans took part in Set List at the Edinburgh Fringe this week and was presented with the topic ‘eulogy headliner’ to improvise a set about. He said it was his ambition to headline funerals, rather than be an arena comedian, like Russell Howard who, he joked ‘sells three tickets for every fan, because the parents have to go too’. Big laugh. Then after Evans’s set who should take to the stage but Russell Howard, affecting a face like thunder. Evans said: ‘Not only did I not know he was in the club, I didn't know he was in Edinburgh. I haven't seen him for years. I was already on stage when he walked in, concerned as to how he was now perceived by his peer group, and bruised by Stewart Lee’s jibes - and this was the very first thing he heard. I have to give great credit to him, he was very good-natured about it.’
- Charlie Brooker says he doesn’t like making cameos in the fictional shows he creates. ‘I am so weird looking it’d be obvious,’ he said. ‘It would be like a dog in a blancmange – it doesn’t really go.’
- Want to hear Hannibal Buress talk about taking ecstacy and pissing himself at a Saturday Night Live wrap party? Then this would be the clip for you:
- Plastics and Rubber Weekly have a comedy exclusive: Sean Lock is to host this year’s Plastics Industry Awards
- Never forget your roots #1: James Corden has become chummy with Vogue editor Anna Wintour, who says he often turns to her for fashion advice.
- Phil Walker recently had a booking to perform stand-up at a 40th birthday party. He got to the house to find the audience comprised only the man and his wife, mother and daughter. But he ploughed on like a pro until halfway through, the mother piped up: ‘Look, is this going to take long? Sex and the City is on in 20 minutes.’
- Time for something a little odd?
- Never forget your roots #2: David Walliams mooned Simon Cowell as their luxury boats passed each other on the French Riviera. Then Elton John did the same.
- Meanwhile, The Sun has claimed Walliams will narrate a canine talent show called Top Dog Model on ITV2.
- Tweets of the week:
More Sarcasm (@MoreSarcasm ): Want a new phone? Scratch here: ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ with a very sharp object.
Julian Simpson (@JulianSimpson1): The revolution will not be televised. Unfortunately we have several similar revolutions at various stages of development.
Vivienne Clore (@vivienneclore): A client of mine has been asked to launch a ship. Am afraid he may bottle it
Posted: 10 Aug 2012